As India resumes domestic flights for travellers, the Airport Authority of India (AAI) and airlines have come out with a slew of measures to maintain the highest level of hygiene throughout your trip. It has been advised that elderly, pregnant and ailing individuals should avoid air travel at the moment to avoid contracting the disease as they are more susceptible. Similarly, those who have tested COVID-19 positive or are staying in a containment zone should also not risk travelling right now as they can infect other passengers. For others, here’s a list of things to keep in mind the next time you fly out of an airport in India for any domestic destination.
Before boarding your flight
1. Wear a mask before entering airport as well as throughout the journey and follow social distancing norms
2. Submit a COVID-19 health declaration and download the Aarogya Setu app which shows green status
3. Report to the airport 2-3 hours before your trip. However, only passengers who have a departure in next four hours may be allowed to enter the terminal
4. All passengers to go through thermal screening and temperature check
5. Use personal transport or authorized mode of transport while reaching the airport
6. Web check-in is mandatory. Also, you will need to print and download your baggage tag beforehand or write your flight PNR and your name on a paper and stick to your check-in luggage.
7. Collect your safety kit at the boarding point and self check-in with an e-boarding pass
8. Only 1 check-in baggage and 1 small cabin baggage will be allowed per passenger as per airline policy. Stow away cabins will not be in use, make sure your hand baggage is small and can fit in under your seat.
On board your flight and during disembarkation:
1. Maintain hygiene and sanitation throughout the flight, sanitise your hands frequently and avoid contact with fellow passengers
2. There will be no in-flight meal service, however water will be provided. There will be no magazines or newspapers available on the flight
3. All airplanes will be equipped with HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter, and will undergo regular cleaning
4. Airplane lavatories will be sanitised every hour and use of lavatory and non-essential movement in the aisle will also be minimised
5. Disembark sequentially and follow instructions at all times
Many states have released their own rules and guidelines for passengers regarding permits, quarantine and other pre & post air travel requirements. You can read them on the Indigo and Spice Jet website.
Disclaimer: The information provided above is based on guidelines released on May 24th 2020, please check with the airline for any updates before flying.